By default, Talkdesk rings all suitable agents at the same time. The first one to answer will handle the call. However, incoming calls can be routed to a single agent or multiple suitable agents at the same time, depending on your preferences. When routing an inbound call, the account's routing preferences will set the number of agents to dial simultaneously, as well as how and when to do it.
Besides choosing the number of agents to ring, there are other routing settings that you can configure.
To configure your account’s Routing Settings, please follow these steps:
- Log in to your Talkdesk account as an administrator.
- Click the Admin  section.
- Select the Preferences  tab.
- Scroll down to "Routing Settings" .
You can configure the following Routing Settings:
- Number of Agents to Ring
- Intelligent Reconnect
- After Hours IVR
- Automatic Away
- Agent IVR
- Custom Error Message
Number of Agents to Ring
Please follow these steps to configure the number of agents to ring:
- Next to "Number of Agents to Ring", make your selection from the drop-down list .
- Click Save .
Notes: While it is possible to ring all agents, we only recommend this for very small accounts (no more than 5 agents). Learn more about how many agents should be rung at a time.
Please note also that there may be a delay of approximately 1 second for a call to start ringing each agent when the "Number of Agents to Ring" is set to more than one agent.
- Ringing All Agents
If the setting is All, Talkdesk will ring all available agents at a time and the first one to answer takes the call.
- Ringing N Agents
For any specified value, Talkdesk will ring that number of agents simultaneously, and will only dial another batch of agents (of the same size or with the remaining undialed agents) if every agent in the previous batch rejects the call (or becomes busy). If no one answers the call, Talkdesk will keep ringing this number of available agents.
In order to make sure that the most appropriate agent always gets the call, we use a skills-based routing system to deliver messages to the right agents.
- These settings can also be configured differently per phone number. To learn how to do this, please visit our numbers custom settings article.
- As for choosing in which devices your agents will handle calls, read our Device Settings article to know more.
To learn more about this feature, please read the article Intelligent Reconnect.
After Hours IVR
To learn more about this feature, please read the article After Hours IVR.
You can configure your account to automatically change the agent's status to "Away" when they miss a specified number of calls in sequence.
With the Agent IVR feature, if calls are being forwarded to the external phone of an agent, an IVR prompt will be played when they press the “Answer” button.
This way, the agent will be informed that the call is being forwarded by Talkdesk and they can accept or reject the call by following the instructions on the IVR prompt.
By default, the Agent IVR is disabled. To enable this feature, please follow these steps:
- Next to "Agent IVR Enabled", select Yes .
- Click Save .
- When the Agent IVR is enabled, an IVR prompt is played twice and waits for the agent to press digits on the external phone:
- To accept the incoming call on the external phone, the agent needs to press 1;
- If they press 2, or if no digits are pressed, the call will be ignored (the default routing behavior is applied and, if no other agent is available to handle the call, it will be redirected to voicemail).
- The Agent IVR works with "forward to External Phone Number", “forward to phone number” in the IVR, and "If-No-Answer Phone Number".
Note: Adding one asterisk (*) into the extension field (Ext.) of the external phone number does not have any impact when the Agent IVR is enabled. If two asterisks (**) are added, this will disable the Answering Machine Detection (AMD), which means that the Agent IVR prompt will not be played when the agent presses the “Answer” button on the external phone.
Enabling the Agent IVR for specific agents
If the Agent IVR is not enabled for the whole account, you can enable it for specific agents:
- Go to the agent’s profile from the Agents  tab.
- In "Agent IVR Enabled", click the toggle to switch it to the ON position (right) .
- Click Save at the bottom.
Note: If the Agent IVR is enabled at the account level, the setting selected at the agent level will be disregarded.
Custom Error Message
To learn more about this feature, please read the article Custom Error Message.