Talkdesk routes calls based on various settings available through your admin preferences. Follow these steps to configure your account’s Routing Settings.
- Log in to your Talkdesk account as an administrator.
- Click the Admin  section.
- Select the Preferences  tab.
- Scroll down to "Routing Settings" .
- Adjust the settings according to your needs.
- Click Save  to finalize any changes you’ve made.
You can configure the following Routing Settings.
- Number of Agents to Ring
- Intelligent Reconnect
- After Hours IVR
- Automatic Away
- Agent IVR
- Custom Error Message
Note: Certain settings appear at multiple levels within Talkdesk. For example, “Number of Agents to Ring” is configurable at account preferences, number settings, and within flows.
These settings interact on a “specific beats general” basis, meaning specific settings that are narrower in scope beat those which function more generally. In practice, this means that the routing settings configured at the account level are overridden by settings specific to numbers, and those number-level settings are further overridden by those specifically within a flow.
Number of Agents to Ring
“Number of Agents to Ring” determines how many agents Talkdesk will ring for each call.
If no agent answers, Talkdesk will proceed to ring a new batch of agents of the same size or with the remaining undialed agents, whichever number is smaller.
Talkdesk finds eligible agents to ring based on the parameters described in the article, “How are calls routed?”.
Please consider the following while configuring this setting:
- Agent Devices. You can configure the device agents receive calls with. Read our Device Settings article to know more.
- Smaller Integers Preferred. Routing performs optimally when smaller integers are used. 1 is the preferred value here, and we recommend ringing no more than 5 agents at once. Learn more in the article, “How many agents should be rung at a time?".
- Ringing Priority. When multiple agents are eligible to receive a call, Talkdesk will immediately ring the most eligible agent first and add subsequent agents at one-second intervals until all are rung.
This feature places callers at the top of the queue if they’ve disconnected just moments before. To learn more about this feature, please read the article Intelligent Reconnect.
After Hours IVR
This feature determines whether your IVR will be active after business hours or if callers will simply hear your “Out of Business Hours” message. To learn more about this feature, please read the article After Hours IVR.
This feature determines how many consecutive calls an agent can miss before Talkdesk overrides their status to Away. Learn more in the article “Automatic Away Status”.
With the Agent IVR feature, if calls are being forwarded to the external phone of an agent, an IVR prompt will be played when they press the “Answer” button.
This way, the agent will be informed that the call is being forwarded by Talkdesk and they can accept or reject the call by following the instructions on the IVR prompt.
By default, the Agent IVR is disabled. To enable this feature, please follow these steps.
- Next to "Agent IVR Enabled", select Yes .
- Click Save .
When the Agent IVR is enabled, an IVR prompt is played twice and waits for the agent to press digits on the external phone.
- To accept the incoming call on the external phone, the agent needs to press 1.
- If they press 2, or if no digits are pressed, the call will be ignored (the default routing behavior is applied and, if no other agent is available to handle the call, it will be redirected to voicemail).
- The Agent IVR works with "forward to External Phone Number", “forward to phone number” in the IVR, and "If-No-Answer Phone Number".
Note: Adding one asterisk (*) into the extension field (Ext.) of the external phone number does not have any impact when the Agent IVR is enabled. If two asterisks (**) are added, this will disable the Answering Machine Detection (AMD), which means that the Agent IVR prompt will not be played when the agent presses the “Answer” button on the external phone.
Enabling the Agent IVR for specific agents
Agent IVR is also configurable for individual agents.
- Go to the agent’s profile from the Agents  tab.
- In "Agent IVR Enabled", click the toggle to switch it ON .
- Click Save at the bottom.
Custom Error Message
You can define a custom error message using this field. To learn more about this feature, please read the article Custom Error Message.
This feature automatically answers calls within one second. The agent will no longer have to press the Accept button to answer the call. For more information, see the article Auto-Answer.