The Roles and Permissions tab in Talkdesk offers advanced usability and allows you to manage your team more effectively.
In this tab, Administrators can specify unique Talkdesk settings for each role and assign agents to specific roles.
When a Talkdesk account is created, the following roles are simultaneously created by default, with the ensuing permissions:
- Administrator: Can access the Administrator dashboard and the apps within - "Calls", "Contacts", "Voicemails", "Teams", "Reporting", "Admin", and "AppConnect"; can edit preferences and configure settings. This role encompasses all the account’s permissions and cannot be modified in any way, making it not possible to rename, deactivate or change its default permissions. Only by creating a role based on this one, can the permissions be changed.
- Agent: This is a default role. It cannot be modified in any way, making it not possible to rename, deactivate or change its default permissions and scopes. Can only access the "Calls", "Contacts", and "Voicemails" applications of the "Agent Dashboard". The “Agent” default role is preconfigured to not be able to edit Preferences, configure settings, or view advanced reports.
- Supervisor: This is a default role. It cannot be modified in any way, making it not possible to rename, deactivate or change its default permissions and scopes. It is pre-configured to not be able to edit preferences or configure settings. Can access the "Supervisor Dashboard" and the Applications within - "Calls", "Contacts", "Voicemails", "Teams", "Reporting", and "App Connect" (view access).
Before learning how to configure Roles and Permissions, let’s get to know the main concepts of this area:
Role: The identifier of an aggregation of permissions that defines the applications and data users can access in Talkdesk.
- Application : A set of functionalities that serves a specific purpose – business domain.
- Area : Represents a group of functionalities within an application area (e.g.: users, roles, calls, numbers, among others) upon which permissions are taken.
- Section : A way to group areas that manage more than one function or resource within the same context (e.g.: Admin’s Billing section)
- Permission : A specific action that determines a capability within the application.
- Scope : A data segregation mechanism that determines the object(s) to which the users can perform a given action.
These elements can appear in different configurations depending on which Talkdesk app you’re setting permissions for, but they mean the same thing in every case.
To learn how to configure roles and permissions, follow the directions below.
Creating New Roles
- Log in to your Talkdesk account as an Administrator.
- Select the Admin app .
- Click on the Roles and Permissions tab .
- The account’s default roles will be displayed. You can define the permissions for Supervisor or Agent default roles or create a new role by clicking the Create role button .
- Provide a “Name”  and a “Description”  for the new role.
- Use the toggle to define the initial status of the role: “Active” or “Deactivated” .
- When finished, click Create .
- When the new role is created, the “Details” page will be displayed. Verify that the details entered correspond to your needs, or click Edit  to make changes, if necessary.
- To start adding permissions to your newly created role, click the Permissions  tab.
Defining and Editing Permissions
- You can define permissions for the newly created role, by selecting the option Add permissions .
- You can also use a permission setup that has been previously configured for another role by clicking on Copy from an existing role, choosing the desired role from the dropdown menu, and clicking Copy to confirm your selection.
- Adding permissions can also be done on the “Roles” main page, by clicking on the more options "...” button next to the role that you wish to configure.
Note: The more options "..." button is not available in the Administrator role because its default permissions cannot be edited.
- In either case, you will be directed to this page, where all the permissions are listed. Click the expand-collapse arrow button to select the application you would like to configure the permissions and scope for each application .
- Select the buttons next to the name of the area to define the level of access you wish to grant to the users that belong to this role . You can allow them to (when applicable):
- To configure the scope for each application, select the dropdown in the column Scope.
Selecting scopes while configuring permissions:
Talkdesk products support scoping on two levels:
Scope by Application: The scope selected is applied to all the application areas and permissions.
Scope by Area: The administrator can define a different scope for each area within the application. This means that the selected scope is applied only to the area it belongs. For example, you can define a different scope per dashboard:
- Select the data scope that users can view in each specific Talkdesk application from the “Select scope” dropdown menu :
- All: The user will see all the information related to the account.
- Team: The user will only see information related to the team assigned to them.
- Child Teams: The user will only see information related to the child teams of the team assigned to them.
- Team + Child Teams: The user will only see information related to the team assigned to them and their child teams.
- Ring Group: The user will only see information related to the ring groups assigned to them.
- User: The user will only see information related to them.
- When you have finished configuring the permissions, click Save at the top of the screen.
- On the Roles’ main page, you will be able to see your created roles, along with the default roles. Here, you can:
- Search for the desired role .
- Choose the number of results you wish to view on the page .
- Filter by Role status – “Active”, “Deactivated”, or “All status” .
- Use the up-down arrow buttons next to “Name” and “Status” to order the results alphabetically .
- Confirm the status of the role .
- When the roles and permissions are configured, you can proceed to assign agents to the roles.
Assigning Users to Roles
1. Click on the Agents tab , select the checkbox of the desired agents , and select the Assign Role option from the “Actions” dropdown menu .
2. Choose the role you wish to assign to the user from the pop-up window that is displayed and click Save .
If necessary, repeat the procedure to assign additional users to roles.
- To remove permissions, click on the more options “...” button of the relevant role  and select Edit permissions .
- Alternatively, you can click on the name of the desired role and select the Permissions tab . Here, you can see the number of applications that are enabled for the role , as well as the permissions that are currently active within the application  and that you may wish to remove. If you wish to see all the permissions available for the roles, switch the toggle to the “on” position .
- Select Edit .
- Scroll down to the desired application and click the expand-collapse arrow button .
- Click on the permission that you wish to remove  or click on Deselect all  button if you wish to remove all the permissions for the area.
- When finished, click Save .
Note: Please be aware that the permissions of the Administrator roles cannot be changed or removed.
- On the “Roles” page, click on the name of the role that you wish to deactivate  or click on the more options “...” button of the relevant role , followed by Edit details .
- Once on the “Details” page, click “Edit”.
- When the role’s page is displayed, switch the toggle to its “off” position .
- Click Save  to complete the process.
Note: Please be aware that only the custom roles can be deactivated and that the default roles – Agent, Supervisor, and Administrator – cannot be deactivated.