Teams are linked using ring groups. Ring groups can represent skills, departments, languages, etc.
It is through ring groups that Talkdesk routes different types of calls to agents with the proper skills to handle them.
When ring groups are associated with a number or IVR, incoming calls are only routed to agents who are also associated with at least one of those ring groups:
- Each agent must have at least one ring group.
- Each phone number must have at least one ring group.
- When configuring an IVR, the IVR prompts can be used to redirect calls to a specific ring group.
Associating a phone number with a ring group
- Log in to your Talkdesk account as an administrator.
- Select the Admin section .
- Select the Numbers tab .
- Click the phone number you want to associate with the team .
- Add a support ring group to the phone number by writing “support” on the “Ring Groups” field, then press Enter .
- Click Save to apply the change to the phone number .
Adding agents to the new ring group
Now that the ring group has been added to at least one phone number, you need to associate it with agents.
- Click the Agents tab .
- Select the agent you would like to associate with the support team .
- Add the previously created ring group, by writing “support” on the “Ring Groups” field and then press ”Enter” .
- Click Save to apply the changes to the agent .
You can set up multiple teams within your call center by assigning different ring groups to agents. When an agent has more than one ring group, our skills-based routing rules determines how calls are routed to agents.
Editing ring groups
By default, Administrators have access to all areas within the Admin section and, as such, are able to edit and manage all the settings within the agents’ profiles, including “Ring Groups”. To prevent an Administrator (or a custom role with similar permissions) from editing the agents’ ring groups, another Administrator must remove this permission from their role.
On the other hand, Supervisors, Agents, and custom roles with similar permissions do not have access to the Agents tab of the Admin section by default. These roles will only be able to edit ring groups if the right permissions are set for them.
Administrators with editing access to the Roles tab must enable/disable the specific permission settings as described below.
Permission to only edit ring groups
To enable a role to only update ring groups, follow the steps below:
- Select the Admin section .
- Click the Roles tab .
- Click the pencil icon next to the role .
- Navigate to the “Admin” tab and check the box next to the name of the section .
- Tick the “Agents” checkbox .
- Tick the “View” checkbox .
- On the “Ring Groups” permission, tick the “Update” checkbox to enable the role to edit Ring Groups .
- Click Save to apply the changes .
Note: By activating this permission, the users with this role will only be able to edit Ring Groups and will not be allowed to change anything else on the agents’ profiles. Learn more about how to customize a role.
Bulk adding or removing ring groups
It is possible to add or remove existing ring groups from agents using the bulk actions feature in the Agents tab.
Learn more about bulk-adding and removing ring groups.