As an Admin, you can choose to deactivate agents instead of deleting them when they stop working at your company.
If you wish to retain the agent’s configurations or if this is a seasonal agent that you wish to reactivate in the future, you should deactivate instead of deleting the agent, as deletion will not retain the configuration data related to the agent.
Talkdesk saves the settings of deactivated agents so there is no need for reconfiguration once they are reactivated.
Note: Deactivating agents from a license makes that license available for a different agent to be added but has no effect on the total number of contracted licenses as these are billed according to your contract. For more information, please read the article Agents and Licenses.
How to Deactivate an Agent
To deactivate an agent, follow these steps:
- Log into your Talkdesk account as an Administrator and select the Admin section from the navigation bar .
- Select the Agents tab .
- Click the name of the agent you wish to deactivate. Next to "Agent Activation" check the "Deactivated"  radio button.
You will see the "Disable Agent" pop-up window:
- Click Close  to confirm the deactivation and close this window.
- Click Save at the bottom of the page.
Once an agent's status is changed to "Deactivated" and saved, the following limitations apply: deactivated agents retain any associated call history (e.g., calls recently made and received, past voicemail assignments, historical reporting) but new activity cannot be routed to deactivated agents (calls, voicemails, etc.).
Agent status can be toggled from Active to Deactivated, and vice versa at any time.
Bulk Deactivating and Reactivating Agents
You can also bulk deactivate and reactivate agents. To do so, please follow these steps:
- While on the Agents tab , filter the list of agents by selecting an option in "Agent Activation" (All, Active, Deactivated, Pending Confirmation) .
- Simply select the agents you wish to deactivate or reactivate . From the "Actions" drop-down menu, select Activation Settings .
A window will pop up:
- Select the activation status that you want to apply to the selected agents and click on Save .
The "Agent Activation" column  will list the agents' activation status:
- Active (Pending Confirmation).
- Deactivated (Pending Confirmation).
- “Pending Confirmation” refers to an agent who has an email invitation from Talkdesk that they didn’t accept/confirm yet. Once the agent confirms the invitation, they will no longer be in the "Pending Confirmation" status. Furthermore, agents in the "Pending Confirmation" status count against the account’s license count, so it’s advisable that admins keep an eye on this column and resend invitations, activate or deactivate agents, delete or make any necessary modifications when necessary.
- If an agent currently has a dedicated line or direct route through IVR, Admins will see a warning message: "Cannot deactivate because agent has dedicated line or direct call routing. Please check your number settings first". These settings will need to be changed prior to deactivating the agent.