With Talkdesk, there are different applications at your disposal that allow you to make a call. This article details those options and the features available with each.
IMPORTANT: On February 21, 2022, we announced the End of Life of the Main Dialer (sometimes also referred to as “Keypad”).
Conversations is replacing the Main Dialer. The Main Dialer features previously described in this article are now available in Conversations, and remain available in Callbar until we reach its End of Life.
Conversations is an Agent Workspace app that allows users to handle inbound and outbound, voice, and digital customer conversations, from their desktop or web browser.
You can learn more about Conversations, including how to access it, here.
The initial screen when opening Conversations will display the Dial Pad .
- Choose the Outbound Caller ID  to perform the call (if this option is enabled by a Team Manager or Administrator).
- Choose a country code . To learn more about this option, please read the Default Prefix article (Note: This article mentions Callbar, but is also applicable to Conversations.).
- Type in a phone number manually or copy/paste it to the field . While dialing, you can see the information on the customer's name and/or number, as well as the number being used to perform the outbound call.
- Initiate a call to an external number by hitting the Call  button.
- Perform a call to another agent, by using the Call an Agent button .
- By clicking on this button, a right-side panel will open, listing the agents that can be called. Browse the list of all available agents, and simply click a name from the directory that appears, in order to initiate an internal call.
Agents will be able to call other agents in green and yellow statuses. To know more about the meaning of each status, please read our full documentation on it.
It is also possible to search for an agent by inserting at least 3 characters in the search bar .
Talkdesk Phone™ is a cloud telephony system for the modern workforce that enables the unification of your business telephony and contact center communications in a single application designed to break down organizational silos.
Within the Phone app, you’ll find the Keypad and the following features:
- The Keypad and Contacts  toggle allows users to change between a numeric keypad and the internal contacts directory.
- The “Caller ID”  is a dropdown menu with a searchable list of numbers that can be used as caller IDs for outbound calls.
- The input field , for extensions and long number dialing.
- The keypad collapse or reveal button .
- Numbered keys and the backspace button.
- The Call button .
- Your extension .
To make a call using Phone, you just need to input the destination number or select one from the searchable Contacts directory.
When making a call using Phone, the following elements are displayed:
- The call description .
- The callee’s avatar , with the callee’s initials if the number is part of the account, and a default icon if it isn’t.
- The callee’s description with all the available information between name and surname, long number, and extension.
- The Mute button .
- The End Call button .
If the callee is busy, a “User is busy” message appears, along with:
- The call description.
- The callee’s name and surname, along with their long number or extension.
- The “Cancel” and “Call again” buttons.
Note: With Talkdesk Agent Workspace generally available, we announced — on February 21, 2022 — the End of Life to Talkdesk Callbar. Access the full Announcement here. You may continue to use Callbar until the EoL date. However, upon the End of Support date, Talkdesk will no longer provide fixes or enhancements to the products, so we recommend upgrading to Talkdesk Agent Workspace to start leveraging Conversations.
To initiate a call to a new contact using Callbar, please follow these steps:
- Type in or copy and paste a phone number into the dialer pad . If you are an administrator or have the right permissions, you will be able to change the default country prefix that is next to the dialer pad. To learn more, read the article Default Prefix.
- Once you have entered the number, click the Call button  to initiate a call.
- You can also click the "Address Book"  next to the "Call" button instead to quickly browse through the list of all available agents.
For more details, please refer to Using Callbar.