Talkdesk's Click-to-Call Extension allows you to use our Click-to-Call functionality and call your customers directly from your favorite Helpdesk, CRM, sales software or website through a simple click on a number.
- How to install
- How to use
- Configuring your Talkdesk Click-to-Call Extension settings
- Why isn't it possible to click on some phone numbers?
How to install
- Add the Talkdesk Click-to-Call Extension from Chrome Web Store:
If your company uses G Suite by Google, then you can automate the installation of Talkdesk's Click-to-Call Chrome Extension and Callbar Chrome App to all your agents, by setting a policy. This will save time and make sure everyone in your team has what they need.
How to use
Once installed, the Talkdesk Click-to-Call Extension intelligently starts scanning your websites and systems, adding a link to each phone number. You can then initiate a call by simply clicking on the link, as per the below example:
Alternatively, you can right-click on a phone number and use the context menu to initiate a call:
Simply click on the option to start a call to the phone number.
- Callbar will assume the account’s Default Prefix every time an agent selects a phone number without a prefix;
- If the account’s Default Prefix is not suitable for a specific call, agents will be able to change it on Callbar or the Keypad, when the window opens and the dialing attempt begins. They will then be able to proceed with the call using the correct prefix.
Configuring your Talkdesk Click-to-Call Extension settings
To configure Talkdesk's Click-to-Call settings, follow these instructions:
- Type in chrome://extensions in the address bar  and press enter; or, click More  and then go to More Tools  and Extensions .
- Search for Talkdesk Click-to-Call Extension and click Details .
- Scroll down to Extension options  and click to open it.
The following screen will show up allowing you to change your desired settings :
In this page, you can configure and change the following options:
- Talkdesk Logo: Hide the Talkdesk icon that shows next to phone numbers, when these are highlighted by the Click-to-Call Extension
- Make the call through: Choose where you want the call to be initiated on, by default:
- Extended Detection: Enable an “Extended Detection Mode”. This will force Talkdesk to look for phone numbers in any website, even when not following the recommended practices and format.
- In case you enable the “Extended Detection Mode”, you can also configure a list of exceptions. How? If you add a website to this list, it will ignore it when trying to detect phone numbers. This is especially important, as the Extended Detection may slow down the browser.
Once done, Save  your changes.
Why isn’t it possible to click on some phone numbers?
It is possible that some phone numbers on a public website are not getting properly fetched or hyperlinked; or they are getting hyperlinked but it’s not possible to click them to initiate a call through Talkdesk. This can happen for several different reasons, including:
- Web developers have not made the phone number on the website code into a proper link by wrapping it in an hyperlink with the tel: schema.
- Phone numbers on the website were not correctly specified, either in international, national formatting or in standard E.164 format: the plus sign (+), country code, area code, and number. If providing a number in local national format, they should also specify the country as an optional parameter. If no country is provided, this will default to US.
- Libphonenumber, Google’s open source phone number handling library, is used to properly format possible phone numbers for a given region, using length and prefix. While not absolutely necessary, it’s a good idea to separate each segment of the number with a hyphen (-) for easier reading and better auto-detection.