This article will guide you through the necessary steps to enable extra or custom fields to be mapped between Talkdesk and ServiceNow. This will allow you to preview extra/custom fields on the Talkdesk Automated Tasks side (i.e. automations) and populate them with the chosen information on the ServiceNow side.
If you have added fields to the User, Case, and/or Incident objects, you may want to populate those when creating them via automations. By default, Talkdesk will show all default fields and any fields marked as mandatory in the ServiceNow form for a particular table. However, any extra fields will need to be manually mapped.
Note: To perform all the next configuration steps, you will need to have an Admin role in ServiceNow.
Previewing Extra/Custom Fields
In order to add extra/custom fields to the preview functionality available, when creating automations in Talkdesk, it’s necessary to add those fields to the Talkdesk Field Mappings table.
Please follow these steps to leverage extra/custom ServiceNow fields in Talkdesk Automated Tasks:
- Go into your ServiceNow instance, and use the search bar  to find the Talkdesk section of the main navigation menu, and select Field Mappings .
- Click New  to add a new field to the Talkdesk Automated Tasks.
- Select the relevant table  according to your needs, then pick the field  you want to show up in Talkdesk Automated Tasks.
Tip: In this example above, we are choosing to show the field “Opened for” via the “Interaction” Table. Remember that the Table selected is the one the field you want to display in Talkdesk Automated Tasks belongs in. Field is the one you want to display in Talkdesk Automated Tasks, use, and automatically fill with data in ServiceNow.
- Click Update  to save this configuration.
- Check the “Field Mapping” table; it will now show the record you just created..
In this section we mapped the field in order to preview it in the Talkdesk Main Automated Tasks, and the next section will show you how to fully map and configure the field so that it’s automatically populated on the ServiceNow side.
Extra/Custom Fields Mapping and Configuration
In order to get extra/custom fields populated through any automation, you’ll first need to complete the previous steps. Before these fields are usable, however, they need to be mapped and configured.
Note: Take into account that part of these next steps rely on Transform Maps, which are a ServiceNow standard and not in Talkdesk’s scope. Be aware that the steps below may be subject to changes on the ServiceNow side.
Extra/Custom Field Configuration in the Talkdesk Table
- Go into your ServiceNow instance, and use the search bar to find the System Definition section of the main navigation menu, then select Tables .
- Go to the search bar and use the “Name” search bar  to find the Talkdesk related Tables (i.e. Name starting with “x_talkd_td_”).
- Pick a relevant Table  according to your needs. In this example, we are opening the Interaction “Import Set Table”.
- Click on the New  button.
Note: If you can’t find the New button, go to System Settings > Developer and make sure “Application” is set to “Talkdesk”.
- The new field must correspond to the extra/custom field you made configured during the Preview stage of this guide.
Tip: Following the previous example, here we are creating the corresponding new record “Opened For”.
Make sure to fill in all mandatory fields, according to your needs and use case:
- Type : In the example above it is “Reference”.
- Column label : Exactly the same label of the extra/custom field on the target table where you want it to be mapped. In the example, we selected “Opened For”.
- Column name : Exactly the same name of the extra/custom field on the target table where you want it to be mapped. This field is the same as the Column label, but uses lowercase letters only, and underscores for spaces (“_”). In the example, it is “opened_for”.
- Reference Specification . In the example, it is “sys_user” (i.e. “User”).
- Click the Submit  button.
Extra/Custom Field Mapping in ServiceNow Transform Maps
- Use the search bar to find the System Import Sets > Administration  section of the main navigation menu, then select Transform Maps .
- Go to the search bar and search for the Talkdesk Table  where you want to add the extra/custom field (i.e. Name “Talkdesk”).
- Pick a relevant table according to your needs. In this example, we want the “Talkdesk Interaction” table.
- Click the New  button to create a new record.
- Then, make sure the Source field  corresponds to the Target field . Fill in the “Source” field with the field you created (in the previous step 5), and the “Target” field with the field you want the data to be transformed into.
Tip: In the example above, both are set to “Opened For”.
- In Choice action , select “Ignore” unless you have a specific use case. If so, choose accordingly.
- Click the Submit button .
Extra/Custom Field Mapping in Talkdesk Main (Automated Tasks)
- Then, go to your Talkdesk account and refresh the page.
- Go to the Admin tab  > Integrations tab  > Automated Tasks section. You may want to Add New Automated Task  or Edit  an existing one, if you have any previously configured tasks you would like to use in this case.
- The previously selected field on the ServiceNow side will show up when creating or modifying automated tasks that create or update the selected relevant object chosen (see step 3 on the “Previewing Extra/Custom Fields” section). In the above image, you can see the “Opened for” field according to the example we have been using for this configuration.
- Drag and drop the relevant trigger information you want to display in the field on the ServiceNow side.
For more information on how to set up Talkdesk automated tasks, please check the Automating Tasks in the ServiceNow Connector article.