Once you activate Chat in your Talkdesk account, you can see all incoming Chat conversations, assign specific items, send a chat back to the original queue, transfer a conversation, or close it whenever the topic of discussion is resolved.
All active Chat conversations, and those on a queue, are visible on the “Conversations” panel.
Using the Queue Tab
After opening the Conversation app, you can access the Queue  tab and see all new incoming Conversations:
- On the listing, you can see the name or visitor number of the contact person who began a Conversation.
Note: The contact’s name is displayed if the visitor has inserted its name before starting a chat, or if the agent has inserted the contact name during the conversation. When no name is added either by the agent or the contact, the contact will appear as a Visitor with a unique ID (e.g. Visitor #2931).
- A Refresh  icon is displayed at the top, indicating the last update time.
- Next to each contact person’s name or number, you can see information on the date of the first message that was received .
- By clicking on the Assign  button, you can assign the chat conversation to yourself, and it will be moved to your active tab.
- At the bottom of the panel, you can click the + New conversation  icon to open a new conversation (Email, SMS or Voice).
Note: The colored icon on the contact indicates the type of the conversation:
Using the Assigned to You Tab
On the Assigned to you tab, you can open each active conversation that has been assigned to you. All conversations within this tab are organized by channels (“Live chat”, “SMS”, “Email”).
After clicking on a conversation on the Assigned to you tab, the corresponding conversation history appears on the right side of the Conversations app.
At the top, you will find an indication of the website the chat originated from, as well as identification information on the contact person:
- Indication of the channel type .
- Website URL : The website URL where the contact initiated the conversation.
- Visitor Number or Visitor Name .
- Domain Friendly Name : The Friendly Name associated with the website URL.
You can also search for specific content within the conversation . Searched items will appear highlighted within the chat window.
On the right side of the panel is a Snapshot tab, where you can see, fill in and/or save additional information on the contact:
- “Merge with existing contact”.
- On the message editor  you can type new messages, which can be sent either by pressing “Shift” + “Enter” on your keyboard, or by clicking the Send  button. To add a new line to the message, press the “Enter” key.
- Once the conversation ends, click on the End chat  button and the conversation will no longer appear on the Assigned to you tab.
- If you prefer to transfer the chat, choose the Send to Queue  button, and the conversation will be returned to the Queue tab from which it originated from.
Receiving Live Chat Messages
When there is a new incoming live chat conversation, an offer screen will appear. This includes a variety of information regarding the visitor:
- Incoming Section: When a new chat that needs to be accepted or rejected arrives, it will appear on the incoming section with a notification sound. Once the conversation is accepted, it will go to the “Chat” section.
- Incoming Live chat : The type of channel of the incoming conversation.
- The Domain URL : The website where the conversation began.
- Visitor Number or Name : If a name is not provided, then a number will be shown.
- Domain Friendly Name : Associated with the website URL.
- Context Card : Provides additional information on the conversation.
- Accept Live chat button : Assigns the live chat to you. You will be able to see and reply to the conversation.
- Reject  button: Rejects the live chat. The live chat will stop ringing, and will be offered to another agent.
- “Live chat” section : Displays all ongoing Chat conversations and the time of the last message sent or received.
- Message content : Displays all messages sent and received in this conversation.
- Automatic message : Automatic messages that the visitor has received within this conversation.
- Editor box : This allows you to write new messages.
Note: To add new lines, press “Enter”. To send messages, choose the “Send” button or press “Enter+Shift” on your keyboard.
- Search bar : Search for specific content inside the Chat conversation.
- Snapshot tab : For the visitor’s context cards.
- “Ring group(s)” card : This conversation’s ring group.
- “Context” card : For additional visitor context.
- “Contact details” card : Contains information on “Name”, “Number” and “Email”. If these fields are already given by the visitor, they will be pre-filled. You can edit the information if needed. The “Keep” toggles allow you to keep information when saving the contact or when merging with an existing contact.
- Send to Queue: Unassigns a conversation and send it back to the original queue to be picked up by another agent.
- Click-to-call: Begins a voice call with the number visible on the Contact Details card’s “Number” box.
- Transfer Chat: Transfers the conversation to another queue of agents.
- End Chat: Closes a conversation.
Exits and Re-entries
Whenever the visitor closes the last page of the website, a notification appears within the conversation.
This feature is helpful in knowing if you should keep waiting for an answer, or if the visitor has abandoned the conversation. In case the visitor enters again, a notification will appear.
The contact can leave the chat, but the conversation will only be considered closed if you click on the End Chat button, visible in the bottom-right corner of the page.
Note: Refreshing the page is considered a temporary abandonment. In those cases, there will be information about the Contact leaving and entering the chat.
Managing Different Channels
On your Conversations panel, you can click on an ongoing conversation without losing historical information. You can also have an ongoing chat conversation, start/receive a voice call, or switch to an SMS conversation.
Using the Conversations panel, switch between the Queue and Assigned to you tab.
The Assigned to you tab displays all the ongoing conversations that are currently assigned to you. Each one contains the name/number of the contact, the date, and a preview of the last message sent or received.
When there is an incoming call or an incoming chat, the conversation will appear on this tab, and you can switch between different conversations assigned to you without losing context.