In late 2016, Google first announced the discontinuation of Chrome Apps. Based on this announcement and to minimize disruption for our customers, Talkdesk began building Callbar® on a different technology stack, Electron, which has been Generally Available since early 2018.
Early this year, Google pushed forward with their discontinuation of Chrome Apps. As a result, Chrome Apps will have two different end of support dates, depending on the operating system. June 2020 for Windows, Mac and Linux users, and June 2021 for Chrome OS users. In addition, Google added two extension dates for customers under Chrome Enterprise or Education Upgrade. Please see the timeline below for details.
Note that this change does not have an impact on any Chrome Extension, i.e. Talkdesk Click-to-Call extension.
When will the change happen?
Google end of support changes will commence between March 2020 and June 2022.
If you are using the Chrome App on Windows, Mac or Linux, uninstall Callbar and install the Callbar® Electron version. This can be done through the Callbar® Electron download link.
If you are using the Chrome App for ChromeOS there is no action needed at this time.
What else should I know?
- If agents using Windows, Mac or Linux do not install Callbar® Electron, their Callbar will stop working in the June timeframe.
- Callbar® Chrome App and Electron share the same features and behavior, so there is no change to the agents workflow.
- With Callbar Electron you will benefit from Talkdesk SSO features. Talkdesk will use the configured default browser for the login process. More details about this here. Note that IE is not supported, only Edge+.
- To keep using the Talkdesk Click-to-Call Chrome extension, do not forget to update the option "Make the call through" to Callbar App.
- If you are using Salesforce CTI connector, do not forget to update the CTI connector (Salesforce) for your users on User Management.
- If you are using Zendesk CTI connector, uninstall the current connector and install the Zendesk CTI connector for Callbar App.
Have questions or need assistance? Please contact your Customer Success Manager or email firstname.lastname@example.org.