The Roles and Permissions tab in Talkdesk offers advanced usability and allows you to manage your team more effectively.
In this tab, Administrators can define and edit user roles (administrator, supervisor, agent, or any other custom role), specify unique Talkdesk settings for each role and assign agents to specific roles.
By default, when a Talkdesk account is created, the following roles are simultaneously created with the ensuing permissions:
- Administrator: Can access the "Administrator Dashboard" and the tabs within - "Calls", "Contacts", "Voicemails", "Teams", "Reporting", "Admin", and "AppConnect"; can edit preferences and configure settings. This role encompasses all the account’s permissions and cannot be modified in any way, making it not possible to rename, deactivate or change its default permissions. Only by creating a role based on this one, can the permissions be changed.
- Agent: Can only access the "Calls", "Contacts", and "Voicemails" sections of the "Agent Dashboard". Agents cannot edit preferences, configure settings nor view advanced reports. This role can have its permissions changed, but its name cannot be modified, and it cannot be deactivated.
- Supervisor: Can access the "Supervisor Dashboard" and the tabs within - "Calls", "Contacts", "Voicemails", "Teams" (view access), "Reporting", and "AppConnect" (view access). Supervisors cannot edit preferences nor configure settings. This role can have its permissions changed, but its name cannot be modified, and it cannot be deactivated.
To learn how to configure roles and permissions, follow the directions below.
Creating New Roles
1. Log in to your Talkdesk account as an Administrator.
2. Select the Admin section .
3. Click on the Roles and Permissions tab .
4. The account’s default roles will be displayed. You can define the permissions for these roles or create a new role by clicking the Create role button .
5. Provide a “Name”  and a “Description”  for the new role.
6. Use the toggle to define the initial status of the role: “Active” or “Deactivated” .
7. When finished, click Create .
8. When the new role is created, the “Details” page will be displayed. Verify that the details entered correspond to your needs, or click Edit  to make changes, if necessary.
9. To start adding permissions to your newly created role, click the Permissions  tab.
Defining and Editing Permissions
1. You can define permissions, for the newly created role, by selecting the option Add permissions .
2. You can also use a permission setup that has been previously configured for another role by clicking on Copy from an existing role , choosing the desired role from the dropdown menu, and clicking Copy to confirm your selection.
3. Adding permissions can also be done on the “Roles” main page, by clicking on the more options "...” button [A] next to the role that you wish to configure.
Note: The more options "..." button is not available in the Administrator role because its default permissions cannot be edited.
4. In both cases, you will be directed to this page, where all the permissions are listed. Click the expand-collapse arrow button next to the permission you wish to grant .
5. Select the buttons next to the name of the feature to define the level of access you wish to grant to the users that belong to this role . You can allow them to (when applicable):
6. Select the data scope that users can view in each specific Talkdesk tab from the “Select scope” dropdown menu :
Ring Group: Users can only see data relevant to the ring groups they are assigned to.
Agent: Users can only get the data relevant to their own usage.
All: Users can see a combination of the two previously mentioned options.
7. When you finish configuring the permissions, click Save at the top of the screen.
8. On the Roles’ main page, you will be able to see your created roles, along with the default roles. Here, you can:
- Search for the desired role [C].
- Choose the number of results you wish to view on the page [D].
- Filter by Role status - “Active”, “Deactivated”, or “All status” [E].
- See the filter selection result [F].
- Clear all the filters in use [G].
- Use the up-down arrow buttons next to “Name” and “Status” to order the results alphabetically [H].
- Confirm the status of the role [I].
9. When the roles and permissions are configured, you can proceed to assign users to the roles.
Assigning Users to Roles
1. Click on the Agents tab , select the name of the desired user, and scroll down to the “Role” section .
2. Choose the role that you wish to assign to the user from the drop-down menu .
3. Click Save at the bottom of the page.
4. If necessary, repeat the procedure to assign additional users to roles.
1. To remove permissions, click on the more options “...” button of the relevant role  and select Edit permissions .
2. Alternatively, you can click on the name of the desired role and select the Permissions tab . Here, you can see the number of applications that are enabled for the role , as well as the permissions that are currently active within the application  and that you may wish to remove. If you wish to see all the permissions available for the roles, switch the toggle to the “on” position .
3. Select Edit .
4. Scroll down to the desired application and click the expand-collapse arrow button .
5. Click on the permission that you wish to remove  or click on Deselect all  button if you wish to remove all the permissions for the application.
6. When finished, click Save .
Note: Please be aware that the permissions of the Administrator roles cannot be changed or removed.
1. On the “Roles” page, click on the name of the role that you wish to deactivate  or click on the more options “...” button of the relevant role , followed by Edit details .
2. Once on the “Details” page, click “Edit”.
3. When the role’s page is displayed, switch the toggle to its “off” position .
4. Click Save  to complete the process.
Note: Please be aware that only the custom roles can be deactivated and that the default roles - Agent, Supervisor, and Administrator - cannot be deactivated.