Note: This feature is only available to subscribers of an Enterprise plan.
Configuring Custom Storage for an AWS S3 Bucket
The following instructions will assist the application administrator in configuring Talkdesk’s custom storage solution for Amazon Web Service (AWS). For additional help, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that existing recordings will be made inaccessible and legacy recording migrations are not yet possible. All other workflows and logic tied to your recordings (access permissions, deletion policy) will remain the same.
Part 1: Set up your S3 bucket
1. Navigate and log in to console.aws.amazon.com
2. Click on ‘Services’  and search for or select “S3”  under ‘Storage’:
3. Click “Create Bucket” 
4. Name the bucket (no spaces) and select the appropriate region 
5. Click “Create” :
Note: For additional security you can further protect your data by enabling default encryption on a bucket so that all objects are encrypted when they are stored in the bucket. Learn how to Enable Default Encryption for an S3 Bucket in AWS.
You can also integrate it with CloudTrail, a service that captures specific API calls made to Amazon S3 from your AWS account and delivers the log files to an Amazon S3 bucket that you specify. Learn how to Create a Trail in AWS.
Part 2: Set up a custom policy
1. Click your login name on the top right of the screen and select “My Security Credentials” :
- Click “Policies” 
- Click “Create policy” :
4. Select the JSON tab  and copy and paste the following, replacing the BUCKETNAME with the name of your custom bucket :
- Click the ‘Review policy’ button .
- Review the policy using the following :
- “Policy Name” = Talkdesk-storage-policy
- “Description” = Policy used by Talkdesk to save recording files to the bucket.
- Click the ‘Create policy’ button .
Part 3: Begin configuration within Talkdesk
- In a new tab or window, navigate and log in to the Talkdesk application (youraccountname.mytalkdesk.com)
- Select the Admin section at the top of the screen 
- Click the “Preferences” tab 
- Scroll down until you see the setting “Data Storage Provider”
- Click “Change Provider” :
A warning will be displayed to let you know pre-existing recordings from Talkdesk will become unavailable once you change to a custom storage. Press ‘Continue’ :
6. Select “Amazon AWS” for Storage Provider 
7. Select the applicable Region 
8. Enter the applicable bucket name in “Bucket” :
9. Copy the 12-digit number found under “Amazon Account Resource Name”  and leave this page open for now.
Part 4: Set up a role in AWS
- Navigate back to AWS
- Click “Roles” 
- Click “Create Role” :
4. Select the “Another AWS account” option 
5. Paste the 12 digit numerical string copied from the the configuration dialog box in Step  into the "Account ID" field :
6. Tick the “Require external ID” option . A new “External Account id” field will be displayed.
7. Go back to the Talkdesk configuration box, copy the Talkdesk Account ID (as per below) and paste it into the above “External Account id” field :
8. Click “Next Permissions” .
9. Search for and select the “Talkdesk-storage-policy”  and press the “Next: Review” button :
10. Type in the “Role Name” = Talkdesk-storage-role 
11. Click “Create Role” :
12. Copy the new “Role ARN” field displayed :
Part 5: Complete configuration within Talkdesk
- Navigate back to the configuration dialog box within Talkdesk
- Paste the Role ARN into the “Amazon Resource Name” field 
- Click “Test connection” :
4. Click “OK” on the successful installation prompt.
Note: Once you now press Save and effectively change your storage provider to AWS, it is no longer possible to edit the provider, bucket, or any of the associated settings. If you need to revert or change anything, please reach out to email@example.com.
5. Once ready click “Save”.
You’re all set! The configuration is complete and effective immediately. All new recordings will be directed to your AWS S3 bucket. No additional steps or maintenance required.